Saute in a soup-pot or pressure cooker:
- Ghee, Butter or Coconut Oil, 2 Tablespoons
- Garlic, 4-7 cloves
- Onion, 1 large
- Ginger, 1″ knob, grated
- Turmeric, 1 Tablespoon
- Cumin, 1-2 tsp
- Cinnamon, 1/2 tsp.
- Broth or Water : 8-12 cups
- Lentils, Red, Brown, French, whatever, 1-2 cups
- Potato, 1 large, chopped
- Carrots or Yam, 2 cups chopped
- Tomatoes, canned or fresh, 3-4 cups
- Celery, 2 stocks, chopped
- Mushrooms (optional), 1 cup sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper, 1 tsp
- Himalayan salt to taste
Simmer for 40-60 minutes ’til done. Or bring to pressure in cooker and cook for 10 minutes, take off heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Gently mash vegetables with a potato masher or whisk to thicken the soup.
Add fresh squeeze of lemon, lime or a dollop of plain yogurt, and garnish with cilantro or parsley.