EASY PEASY BONE BROTH & SOUP
Place into a large stock or crock pot:
- Bones from Free Range Chicken (necks and backs)/Beef (shanks are yummy)/Lamb bones
- Medium Carrot, scrubbed
- Medium-Large Onion with skin on, cleaned
- Handful of Parsley and/or several Bay Leaves
- Handful of Celery leaves with stalks
- Several Garlic Cloves and/or Fresh Ginger Slices
- Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Filtered Water to cover (8-15cups)
- 1-2 tsp Sea or Himalayan Salt
Let simmer on low for 4-6 hours (or overnight in crock-pot).
Strain bones and veggies. Take meat off bones and save. Let stock cool several hours.
Strain off fat (but leave some for flavour and goodness) and then add fresh veggies (onions, garlic, celery, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, parsley..), lentils, beans, barley. Bring to a slow simmer with lid on for 30-40 mins until barley/lentils are done and then add vegetables and simmer for another 15 mins … Add meat at the end.
*Note: For extra freshness and to preserve vitamins, cut veggies thinly and add into hot broth several minutes before serving. Broccoli and parsley are especially delicious added at the end and will maintain their beautiful colour.
For an Asian touch, leave out the lentils and barley. Cook up rice noodles, put in bowl and ladle broth/soup on top. Pass the Tamari/Soy and Hot Sauce!